Good evening, Individual A-53.
Screens is a short, five-level game made for the GMC Jam #30. Play as an individual, inside a mysterious laboratory, working to follow protocol and restore the facility's power. The primary theme chosen to work with was "switch between different genres".
Featuring music made by WaveParadigm. If possible, maximized window or fullscreen is recommended for the best experience.
About Version 1.2
Version 1.2, released on August 5th, 2020, is a new build which addresses a small number of visual and gameplay glitches and introduces some quality-of-life changes to improve overall visuals and gameplay experience.
- Corrected erroneous wall and tile placement which lead to walls not rendering properly in Room 2 and ceilings rendering in incorrect places in Room 3.
- Fixed a glitch that allowed players to clip through a wall in Room 3.
- Updated the mechanics of the tank minigame to allow the player to wrap around from one edge of the screen to another in some instances of the minigame.
- Updated textures for floor tiles, ceiling tiles, computer terminals, and wall/ground representations on in-game screens.
- Changes to environmental textures and objects are to improve detail.
- Computer terminals have been re-modeled slightly and their displays become grayed out after completing the screen associated with that terminal.
- Wall/ground representations on screens are now a textured light gray, improving visibility and adding more subtle detail.
- Added an Options menu to the title screen.
- Sound On/Off and Fullscreen On/Off can be toggled from this menu.
- Screen Background Scroll/Static can be toggled. Scroll is the default setting. Static prevents the checkered background on screen minigames from scrolling. At some resolutions and in-game camera angles, the checkered background may render distorted and appear "wavy"; disabling this setting
- Updated the in-game version number, some HUD dressing, and references to my website/username to match more modern branding and updated information.
- Removed the FPS counter from the window title.
About Version 1.1
I do not have any plans to update this build of the game further - this is a post-Jam build that attempts to address some latency issues reported by players. No changes to gameplay have been made. Notable changes:
- Optimized a handful of draw calls.
- Added the ability to resize the game window as the user sees fit. On some machines, maximized window provides sufficient detail where fullscreen does not perform well.
- Fixed a glitch that allowed players to clip through a wall in Room 4 into Room 5, but mislabeled as Room 1.
- Fixed a glitch where hitting Escape to end the game at the final screen would send the user back to the main menu instead of closing the game.
- Very minor HUD adjustments (some orange text coloration; version number information).